Monday 17 June 2013

Happy Feather's Day from our nest to yours


Father's Day round here was a quiet affair.  Mostly due to the fact that the tummy bug had worked it's way around to me by Saturday night, via the two littlest boys, and by Sunday all I was capable off was low level moaning in a darkened room.  Home-made cards were made and given, and daddy had the pleasure of a day with his boys all to himself.  Instead of his planned day of the second day of the local golf club championship.  Oh dear.  Baked beans were heated, oven chips were roasted and all was well.  The littlest boy made regular trips upstairs to "look after" me, which involved more bouncing than I might have chosen, but he was also very sweet and snuggly so I won't complain.

Saturday was a quiet home day, as smaller people regained their strength.  Whilst pottering in the garden, we found this...


The first strawberry of the season.  And only lightly grazed by slugs.  It was still a little green underneath, but it's almost there.  It's a Gariguette, and is slightly earlier than the Cambridge Favourites I have.  The Honeoye are also just starting to redden.  Must be almost time for Wimbledon I think.


The grapes have a bit further to go though.


This is the first flower on a new rose I planted last year.  It looked like it was going to be pink, so I was happy when it turned out to be white as expected - Madame Alfred Carriere - beautiful.  I have grand plans of it covering a fence, but there's a long way to go. 

Inside there's been fabric. 


I'm loving the colours in these and the nature-inspired designs.  Just right for a quilt featuring birds and trees.


The pile of squares is slowly growing.  Some of this fabric is so lovely I think I shall have to come up with another project for it as well.


Right now I'm happy to be quietly working away on simple squares though, watching a little television and getting back to full strength.  Enjoy your week.

26 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better soon - we had a bug travelling through our family a few weeks ago - horrid. I LOVE those fabric designs and colours -gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horrid indeed, thank goodness it's passed now. I love the fabric too, I need to think of more things to do with it.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to see that you've not been well and hope that you're now feeling better.
    Fingers crossed for plenty of good grapes, mine weren't up to much last year. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty. It seems lots of fruit wasn't up to much last year, but this year is looking more promising I think.

      Delete
  3. Hope you're feeling better ... the fabric is fabby such wonderful muted tones ~ Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, yes, I'm a big fan of muted tones.

      Delete
  4. Hope you're feeling better soon. Our Father's Day didn't go to plan either, we were going to go out for a meal but son had an unexpected cricket match on Sunday so the meal's been postponed. Lovely fabric, I especially like the owl design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to have your meal soon. I like the owls too.

      Delete
  5. I hope you're feeling much better now, I love those fabric pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, get well soon CJ and take it easy.
    You have a great eye for colour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you're feeling better. That strawberry looks just delicious, and I love all the fabric. Those colors are all so beautiful and look great together. Thank you for stopping by my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious, and we've just had our first bowlfuls. Summertime indeed. It was a pleasure to visit your blog Kari.

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous squares and beautiful fabric. We have strawberries too, but it's a battle to stop the woodlice nibbling them.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I find there are lots of things that like strawberries - slugs, woodlice, ants, small boys... But some usually make it into the kitchen.

      Delete
  9. such a beautiful eye you have!

    sorry to hear about your summer plans gone awry. hope all is well with you. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebecca. I think all will be well in the end, but right now things are up in the air, so a little unsettling.

      Delete
  10. I really like some of the fabrics you have there, especially the green with the white seed heads, it's gorgeous. Sorry to hear you were all ill for father's day, but very encouraging to see the strawberries are coming up. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian, I like that one too. Simple and striking.

      Delete
  11. Loving the fabrics CJ ... where did you get them.

    Hope you're all all better now x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, a tricky question. Some were from various Ebay sellers including Frumble UK, and some were from Fabric Rehab, particularly the Lotta Jansdotter. Sorry not to be more specific, I didn't keep the receipts, although I'm trying to do that now so that if I want more I know where to buy it.

      Delete
  12. I hope all of you are well soon :) Your fabric looks lovely, as does your strawberry and rose. I love Madame Alfred Carriere but I never seem to have enough suitable wall space for one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely rose, and apparently does okay on a north or east wall. It's always nice to find something so beautiful that does well somewhere gloomier.

      Delete