Tuesday 4 June 2013

The school run, the park and the magic of five



Life at the moment is in transition.  I know that change is coming.  Change is not something I particularly like; I am a creature of habit, a homebody, and I can feel the prickle of anxiety right now.   I am trying not to let it take over, and I am just enjoying the simple everyday things that make up most of our lives here.


The school run this morning was blissful.  Warm sunshine, cheerful boys, plenty of time, nothing forgotten.  The sky was blue, blue, blue.


The littlest boy had an extra spring in his step, because at long last, after months of not-so-patient waiting, the day had finally arrived.  He was five!


Hard to express how happy he was.  He had a little bicycle, a kite, some books and some Lego and oh, he was excited.  We fairly flew to school.


If it's not too wet we walk through this playing field and down towards the church and the castle.  It was just glorious today in the sun.


I tried to soak it all up and store the memories.  I know that one day it's likely I won't be walking these little people to school every day, and it suddenly seems so important to remember it all.  Even the days when it's raining and windy and we're late and everyone is shouty and cross.  Because those days are precious too and I know I will miss them.

After school there was another birthday parcel to open, one that came in the post while the littlest boy was at school.  Then there was tea and a cake with homemade strawberry jam and a trip to the park to try out the kite.  It is a Brookite, which is supposed to be tough and fly well, and I have to say it was fantastic.


All in all a wonderful day.  Is there anything better than being five I wonder?

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fab day - for you and for the now-not-so-little one. Lovely pic of him skippity hopping! Roll on this gorgeous weather! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a big skippity hopper. Loving the weather, and it is here for a while longer I think.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to you lovely boy!

    And thanks for the reminder to make the most of these mornings - in six weeks my taller girl will be leaving primary school and I won't be taking her any more. And that thought has just stopped me dead in my tracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dotty Cookie. Don't know where this school year went.

      Delete
  3. Argh, that should have read to "your" lovely boy, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What joy in those pictures, the one of him in mid flight is magical. Enjoy this time while they are small if flies so fast. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember much about when I was five but I do remember having lots of fun kite flying when I was young. Happy days just like this one! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved flying my kite too, although with less running up and down I think.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love the photo of your youngest jumping! Fantastic! Oh...to be five again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was lucky to catch the moment.

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday to your youngest. I often think it must be brilliant to be five. It's so nice to savour those moments and enjoy the walks to school. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, five is wonderful. There is just huge enthusiasm for absolutely everything.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful walk to school, happy birthday to your littlest boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, happy birthday to your lovely boy. What a beautiful day, I'm glad the weather cooperated so that he could get some kite flying in on the big day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was perfect - warm and sunny, but with just enough wind.

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday to your son, such lovely, happy photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thanks for visiting.

      Delete