Monday 22 July 2013

A year of allotmenteering

A year ago, just a few days before the start of the summer holidays, I got The Call.  After five years of impatient waiting, an allotment was available.  I'd already turned down one without a shed, back in a damp and uninspiring November, so I was thrilled when one with a shed finally became available.  It was very weedy, with seeding weeds chest-high, but it had previously belonged to the same man for 45 years and it had also been an award winning plot. 

I didn't grow much last year, just a few radishes and some courgettes, but I did spend a long time weeding and clearing the ground.  And then in the New Year it was time to begin.  I put in some garlic, which did beautifully, and gradually I added little things I'd grown from seeds and some plants from the local garden shop.  I pop down when I can, to battle the weeds.  Lots of things seeded last year before I took over the plot, so this year there are lots of things trying to take over.  And just lately I've been doing a lot of watering.  And quite a bit of picking.  And then I reached a point where it all felt just a bit overwhelming.

I think it began after the holiday.  The weather was hot, lots of water was needed, but I had a hundred things to do at home, and there was also lots going on at school.  I've had a little panic over all the time needed.  I really need to find a job, and I think while I'm at the plot I feel I should be doing something that actually earns some money.  And when I do find a job, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to keep the plot.  There just aren't enough hours in the day.  So I got to the point where I felt that the plot was something that maybe I'd be doing this year, but not next.  And yet.  And yet...

When I walk down there, and I see some really wonderful plots, when the children come along too and have fun "helping", exploring, picking things, when I leave the plot with a big bag of wonderful things, when everything is weeded and watered and in order, when I go to the open day and see what a great community is there, when I get to the site and close the gate behind me and enter a whole new world that moves peacefully and quietly, when I'm working there and I think about all the people in the almost 500-year history of the site that have worked there before me...  Then I think that I will try so very hard to hold on to this wonderful little plot of mine.  Weeds and all.

Can I show you around a little?  First we need to head down the path to the flatter plots at the bottom.


Here we are.  The one with the corrugated green shed is mine.  It's a bit of a doddery shed and it's not watertight, but it has its own resident bees and inside is a nice little chair and my wellies and I love it.


In front of the shed are a few flowers, squashes, tomatoes and fennel.



Further up there are beans, asparagus and beetroot.


And then at the top of the plot is the fruit.  Gooseberries, raspberries, blackcurrants and a little plum tree that I put in at the end of the winter.


 And a Japanese wineberry that I found in the "Free" area of the allotment, where people leave things they don't want.  I'm proud of this one; it sulked for ages, but I watered it, nurtured it, talked to it, and finally it started to grow.  I've heard they're delicious.


I think that for me being an allotment holder might be a thing of ups and downs.  Sometimes it will be a chore, and one I can barely fit into my life.  And sometimes it will just be glorious.  Today was a good day.


The soil there is fantastic and things are growing far better than at home.  The weeds (in places) are under control (after a fashion).  And rain is coming, so I didn't bother watering.  I've even worked out how to get the rest of the blackcurrants and gooseberries picked.  I shall turn it into a competition.  The boy who picks the most will win.  Now all I have to do is work out what to do with them all...


Back up to the top and along the dry grass path to the gate.  I hope the boys have happy memories of this place.  They all say they want to keep it, and on balance, so do I.

14 comments:

  1. Your photos of your allotment are gorgeous - they remind me of a lovely holiday we had a few years ago. We discovered allotment gardens in the town we were staying in, had a great time wandering around and picked up a few tips for my garden at home (in Goulburn, New South Wales, Australia.)
    I just love the community aspect of gardening and sharing ideas and produce - this is happening more in Sydney as well as verge gardening in suburban streets. After waiting for five years it would be a pity to give it up, though I here what you're saying about needing to get a job - me too! Your boys are learning and experiencing something that will stay with them a long time,
    Love your Cornwall pics too - we went there as well, would love to go back one day (better get that job!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Barbara. You are right, it would be such a shame to give up, and I really don't want to. I hope you manage to visit Cornwall again one day.

      Delete
  2. Good post and terrific photos.
    I think that at times we all feel as you do but it is really worth the effort at the end of the day. I always sympathise with people like yourself who are busy and time limited.
    I'm sure that you'll find that it will get easier. As the saying goes...Keep calm and plot on! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty, you are right, it is worth it. I am picking lots of things at the moment, which is helping!

      Delete
  3. It looks so wonderful. I know that overwhelming feeling very well! But Perhaps the allotment also gives you respite. I guess we just want to do the best we can and maybe you feel guilty about not giving the attention it "deserves " Have you read Laeticia Maklouf? My gardening guru. She has the right attitude to gardening!! I would love an allotment for all the reasons you talk about. Lovely post xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation, I haven't read anything of hers, but I will look out for her books now. The allotment is indeed a bit of a respite. When I go through the gate, it is like entering another world.

      Delete
  4. Your special place looks beautiful! I know what you mean about needing more hours in the day. It can be hard to find the time to do what you love, but when you're faced with giving it up, it's even harder to let it go. Whatever you decide will be the right decision for you. Just look at all you were able to grow. That's a huge accomplishment. I can't even keep an indoor plant alive:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari. It would be hard to give it up, I would miss it. I'm just trying to enjoy the here and now of it at the moment.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful setting for an allotment - ours backs onto a busy car park! - and you have so many lovely things on the go.

    Enjoy the harvest,

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina. It is a nice setting, and it's nice to have some produce coming through now too.

      Delete
  6. Oh what a perfect allotment site. We missed out here once, and didn't go ahead once (it just wouldn't have been viable at the time) ... but one day I will get my allotment, and then I will probably feel exactly as you do.

    That said, your plot looks well kept to me, and surely the important thing is that it's doing what it's supposed to do and supplying you with lots of lovely fruit and veg :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and I am making the most of all of the berries and beans and things. I'm trying hard to freeze as many gooseberries and blackcurrants as I can to last until the next year.

      Delete
  7. Your allotment looks lovely and peaceful. I know what you mean about it being a thing of ups and down! Our veggie garden is in the garden so I can do bits and bobs through out the day. Needles to say I still didn't manage to thin out all of the radishes and a whole lot of them just got all leafy with nothing to eat underneath. However on days like today - when I had some new potatoes, spinach and basil from the garden and fresh eggs from our chickens, and I turn it all into lunch for me and the kids, then I really appreciate why it is worth all the effort. Visiting from sustainablemum's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Emma, lovely to have you here. I know what you mean about how nice it is when you've made lunch from things you have grown. There's a real feeling of achievement and satisfaction. Chickens are on my wish list!

      Delete