Wednesday 4 September 2013

Bean flowers, a bee, bookmarks and a balloon

How I love it when my day alliterates nicely.    Let's start with the bean flowers and the bee.  Heading optimistically into that blue, blue sky, despite the late season.


It seems that summer isn't quite over after all, although it's not at all the same without small boys about the place.  In the pond there is a last waterlily.


The tomatoes are doing so well this year.  Warmth and sunshine.  I pick some almost every day.


The borlotti beans are sparse, but so pretty.  I don't think I've quite given up on them.  I might try some climbing ones in the rich allotment soil next year.


It's the end of the sweet peas...


and the beginning of the time of the spider.


I had a nice surprise in the post this week.  A bundle of bookmarks from the wonderful Gina Sekelsky.  I'd describe her as a modern calligrapher and artist, and she's also a really talented sewer as well.  This summer she organised a summer reading programme.   In return for five book reviews she generously sent everyone who took park a set of her lovely quote bookmarks.


Apologies for the poor quality photo, the light was fading when I took this.  There are some lovely quotes here.  This one is part of a favourite poem, from Roald Dahl's "Charlie and Chocolate Factory".


The full poem is here should you feel inclined to read it.  Interesting to see this view expressed back then in 1964.  What on earth would the wonderful Mr Dahl think of the amount of screen time children have now?  The poem is more relevant with every passing year I think.

I really like Gina's lettering and the way she illustrates her work.



I have a Mark Twain quote on my mantelpiece which she did, and I see it every day.  I moved it to the garden to take a picture, and as luck would have it a balloon floated into the viewfinder as I was focusing.


The quote says, "Don't be afraid to go out on a limb - that's where the fruit is".  It's something I try to remember.

The balloon drifted over our house, so low that I could see the people waving.  It was a perfect evening for ballooning I think.  Warm, just a breath of a breeze, clear and with a lovely sunset.  They floated away over the river.  Perfect.

18 comments:

  1. What beautiful bookmarks. It was a gorgeous day here too yesterday, we've been so lucky with the weather this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really have. I'm hoping it lasts just a little bit longer.

      Delete
  2. We only had one water lily flower. Must have been too dry :D

    Have you ever watched a spider spin its web - we have a video Martyn once took and it is fascinating to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have watched for a little bit, they are absolutely amazing. So patient and deft. And then one gust of wind or passerby can ruin the whole thing, and they simply start again. Wonderful.

      Delete
  3. I've not picked any of my climbing borlotti beans yet. I like the bookmarks, they're something that I sort of collect.
    A still, warm evening is ideal ballooning weather, and it's always good to see them. Sadly they're not allowed over here as it's too close to Heathrow.
    Lovely post and photos. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always pick up a bookmark when I see one. I have a lovely one I got from the library a few years ago with the most wonderful still life on it. Although it was just a free thing, I really treasure it. If I can put my hands on it I'll try and remember to take a picture. I think I've put it somewhere safe though...

      Delete
  4. I adore the picture of the bee, CJ!

    And the book marks are gorgeous. I am not a Kindle convert, so like a book mark. I usually use postcards.

    I've been meaning to send you a great big bloggy mwaaah. Your comment on my September post stayed with me all day. I was thinking about you as I took my morning walk with the dogs. Chin up buttercup.

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Postcards in books is a lovely idea. Thank you for your kind thoughts Leanne. I have been periodically saying "Chin up buttercup" to myself throughout the day. It has helped, it is so nice to know you were thinking about me. So thank you again.

      Delete
  5. Reminds me of one of my favourite quotes, which, actually, seems to suit you quite well! "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." Cicero.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your pictures are wonderful!

    I also love that Roald Dahl quote about throwing your tv away and installing a book case; it's so perfect on a bookmark.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I am always tempted to get rid of the tv and put a copy of the poem in it's place.

      Delete
  7. I just finished reading Roald Dah'sl story "Boy" and I loved it. My 6th grade teacher read it to our class and I wanted to read it again because I remembering loving it so much. It actually made me think of you. Have you read it? Are any of the places he lived near you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read it, but we do have most of his fiction which the boys love. Roald Dahl's birthplace was Cardiff, which is the other side of the Bristol Channel (the water in the last post), so I've been there quite a bit. He went to school at Weston-super-Mare, which is the place I visited in the last post. And his first job was in Midsomer Norton, Somerset which is not far away. He also spent some time in Oxford, and it's also the place where he died. It's about 80 miles from here, and occasionally I do go there for the day. It's beautiful, very beautiful. It makes me think I should read "Boy". I think my eldest has read it, I will ask him about it tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. You should definitely read it! I'm sure your boys would enjoy it as well. I recognized the name "Weston-super-mare" from some of his early stories. It's so cool knowing that the places I read about in the book are so close to you. I've never been to the UK at all, except for a brief stopover in Heathrow airport (which really doesn't count). I'd love to visit someday and maybe even surf :) It seems lovely and really different from California.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE Roald Dahl. I was forever lost in one of his tales as a child and my children's names are Matilda and George. Yes, I am something of a geek, too :) Holly.x

    ReplyDelete