Friday 30 May 2014

Half term wanderings

We found fairies in an orchard not far from here.  I think pink and purple dreadlocks are my absolute favourite hair.  Oh how I wish it was mine.  I would quite happily dress like that every day if I could.  Well, maybe not the wings, I can see that they might be a little tricky to manoeuvre in a school cake sale situation or squeezing into the car in the Aldi carpark.  Wings just for special occasions.



I found bee hives as well, more of my favourite things.



I tiptoed in close, it was quite buzzy.  I'm not sure whether tiptoeing in makes the bees cross, it was certainly quite loud close up.


I tiptoed back out again quite quickly so as not to upset them.  Bees are such miraculous little creatures.  They have such short lives, and they work so hard to produce honey.  Worker bees live for only six weeks, and each one produces less than a gram of honey its short life.  It makes me use honey with great respect and restraint.

In the garden the comfrey and the raspberries are covered with all sorts of bees whenever it's not raining.




The week is going quickly, despite the slightly damp weather.  We went for a picnic yesterday at the wildfowl and wetlands place we go to.  There are thousands of fancy birds there of all descriptions, but the boys were most thrilled of all that the pigeons would stand on their arms to eat.


At home there's been holiday food.  Artichokes and asparagus from the allotment on a pizza.




Between showers I've been hanging out the washing using my lovely new peg apron.


I won it in a giveaway from the lovely Christina at A Colourful Life and I absolutely love it.  It's exactly what I needed for keeping in pegs in.  Before, I was using an old carrier bag with a hole in and pegs were always falling in the mud.  Now I'm like Wonderwoman with the washing.

In the garden the beans have started to twirl nicely round the hazel poles that I got from the local community woodland.  I love that moment when they start to entwine the stakes and head for the sky.  First there's a couple of weeks where they wave around madly, feeling about to see what they can find.  And then suddenly they locate their stick and they're away.  They always twirl anti-clockwise.  I'm assuming in Australia they're doing it the other way.  Does anyone know?


The strawberries are swelling nicely.  These are honeoye, a fairly early one.  We should be eating them in three weeks or so I think.  Summer will definitely be here then.


And just in time for summer I finished knitting the scarf I was making.  I saw the yarn last year on Vanessa's blog, Coco Rose Diaries and fell in love with it.  I'm a huge fan of Vanessa's blog, and just about everything she makes, do have a look if you're feeling in need of inspiration.

My scarf was a lot less impressive than Vanessa's.  I found a really simple pattern that I could manage late at night when I'm tired, and I still made mistakes.  But it's done and it's not itchy and I still love the yarn so I'm happy.  And the weather's almost cool enough for a scarf right?




It's reminded me how much I love to make things.  I do wish there were more hours in the day.  Do you have any tips for making a little extra time?  Do tell, I need to squeeze out some extra moments.  Enjoy the rest of the week, especially those of you on half term or summer holidays.  CJ xx

24 comments:

  1. Your first photos reminded me of when Matt was younger and we used to go to Groombridge Place, and quite magical day out. Sorry, no idea to make more time, I always struggle too! Have a great weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos. Love the little "bumble butt". I think there are an awful lot of people that don't realize the intrigue of bees.

    Your scarf is very pretty. That's a wonderful pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps you need magic fairy wings to make more time! I love watching the bees in my garden, I was appalled last year to see some little brat stamp on a bumble bee because it was lying on the path. Awful child! My strawberries are nearly ready too, I'm so excited I'm sure the sun will shine then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that fairy's hair - I wonder what dye she used and weather it faded like mine?! Looks like a lovely week chez CJ's enjoy the weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I quite fancy a bee hive in the garden but I am sure this would be met with resistance. James talked me into buying artichoke plants and maybe we'll have some on our pizzas, too. Someday, once I have figured out where to plant them.... I am glad you like your peg apron. I think it might just be perfect worn with fairy hair and wings. Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love going to shows like that. I agree with you about the hair. You could put colorful streaks in yours. I have some hair chalk that's fun to use, a red and a purple. I haven't done it in awhile so maybe I should do it again soon. I feel inspired now. The bees are so interesting to watch. I've never kept bees and I can't do it here and I also happen to be allergic to bees but it hasn't stopped me from watching them behind glass when I can. I've been to a few interesting observatory-type places where you can do that. It looks like you had a lovely week. I hope you have a lovely weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pizza looks delicious.
    I don't know where time goes. All I know is that it's speeding up. Einstein never said anything about that did he.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey...send that fairy on over here!!! The beans would just love her...oh my!!! And that photo of your son feeding that bird is so very sweet! Nothing better than touching nature up close like that! And those beautiful bees! I am thankful for them everyday! Loving your pizza with your harvests friend...now that is what makes the garden super sweet! Those artichokes are gorgeous! I personally think that artichokes are very pretty with all of their different color tones and textures! And great job on that scarf! Looks like a world of lovely goodness by you! Your post made me smile! Wishing you an outstanding weekend! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that pizza looks yummy.....you cannot beat a homemade pizza, but hey come on is it right to be thinking about that so early in the morning?

    We've had quite a sunny half term, been in the garden a bit weeding and putting a few bits and bobs in....no vegs for us yet, the area we plan to use is full of winter heliotropes, like a jungle, but next year look out! Hmmmm, wish I knew the time doubled thing, I spend such a lot of time sat in my car, that I always think i should be learning something then, but sometimes, I guess that actually you are already doing enough, I've done some swatting of my German in the car, but after about 1\2 he it drivesme nutty!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your scarf is gorgeous I love the yarn and the pattern.

    I think wings are a great idea if only one did not get funny looks for wearing then........

    ReplyDelete
  11. We once had a bee nest under a pile of straw on the plot. Each time we passed it you could hear the humming beneath.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I've just finished a cowl and agree that yes, the weather is cool enough for woolen accessories! Your half term sounds lovely, you haven't let the rain hinder you, and your bee photos are excellent, really clear. They're tricky little blighters to photograph, aren't they? But not as bad as butterflies. And that pizza looks amazing. Enjoy the rest of your weekend lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. So nice that you managed to spend some time outdoors with the little ones. And aren't we lucky with our peg aprons? I love mine - it's a perfect colour match for my laundry room!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pizza with artichokes and asparagus on it look so yummy. Actually, I have no idea how to cook artichoke, I have never eaten it. I have never seen artichoke was grown here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you ever find out how to make more time, please let me know, I could do with some too. It looks like you've had a wonderful week with your boys, and what a yummy looking pizza, I bet that tasted delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of lovely things CJ! I am impressed you got such a close-up of the honeybees. The scarf is lovely. I am almost always wearing a hoodie in my house, so I think a scarf in late May is fine. The pizza looks delicious - great way to sneak in those healthy green things. Been enjoying asparagus here also.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A nice post and lovely photos. My comfrey is alongside the raspberries and both are buzzing with bees when in flower. I believe that your right about the runner beans, it's the same with water down the plughole.
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you're enjoying a lovely half term! Oh how I love that fairy - I, too, would love to don those clothes every morning, and have pink and purple hair...and I'd even wear the wings everywhere! They are beautiful! My grandmother kept bees, I remember seeing the hives in the far back corner of her field, and the taste of fresh honey! Your scarf is gorgeous, love that yarn! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think everyone needs a set of fairy wing, I've got some in the Summerhouse, I suppose the only thing to be said about a rainy half term is at least it makes the flowers grow, a few years back we had a swarm on honey bees in the garden the sound is so loud, the bee need all the help they can get these days
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your half term week looks so good! I love the fairies and your pizza looks amazing! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey CJ,
    Your pizza looks so yummy. It makes my jacket potato look sorely lacking. We have lots of Strawberries too, but Olly is adamant that they are his and his alone. As for bees. I lose hours i the garden staring at them. I find them fascinating. My scary allotment is starting a bee keeping area. That excites me very much. I'd love to learn more about keeping bees.
    Have a good week lovely girl.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohh that apron! Love! And are you CRAZY with those bees. Oh my god I can't believe you got that close! Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful pictures of the bees - and aren't they lovely pollinating your raspberries like that. Totally agree with your appreciation of honey too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your pizza looks so delicious. I'm still trying to work out how not to get it to stick to the baking tray when I cook ours! Some are OK and others not! Your artichokes look fantastic; such beautiful colours. I love your scarf it's such a beautiful pattern. I wear scarves all the time - throughout the year - hot or not! :-)

    ReplyDelete